Subject: Re: DV format cameras
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 12:44:20 -0700

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Elliot Bain wrote:

> Don't hold your breath while waiting for 'straight-to-harddisk'
> capture. There aren't any cards yet that take the digital signal into
> the computer, and there may not be any yet this year.

>From what I hear, the DRACO already has FireWire support and DPS has been
working on this also.  Guess we'll know more in a few days.

> Also, some people will give you a good argument about the quality vs
> BetaSP. I think it's still a good value for the money tho, and
> starting to aquire video footage with a DVC machine might not be a bad
> idea.

Apparently the DVC cameras don't do very well in low-light situations...
I've been told that if you light your set/actor correctly, the quality is
comparable to BetaCam, but since the VX-1000 is the first generation of
DVC cameras, they can only get better.  (I hope!)

                                     -David Warner
                                      [email-masked]
                                      http://www.albany.net/~dwarner